Message on COVID-19: “We live in the most beautiful and sacred place in the world that we call home, Hawaii. No other state in the union can compare. The pandemic Covid 19 has destroyed our way of life in just a few months, and it is predicted that it may take years to bring it back. It is also predicted that the quickest economic recovery will be small businesses that create jobs. As your State Representative and a Hilo businesswoman, I will do my best to help small businesses.” – Lorraine
Lorraine Shin for House District 1
Lorraine promises that she will have a voice that will be heard throughout Hawaii in her quest to bring sustainable agriculture to the Big Island, housing for low income families and the elderly, improve education for our kids and bring money to the teachers, create jobs to keep our graduates from leaving Hawaii, find ways to help the homeless, and make sure we live in a safe environment. I will hit the ground running once elected as your representative for House District 1.
EXPERIENCE WITH IMPACT
As the Hawaii State Director for USDA Rural Development for eight years, Lorraine brought over $1 billion in loans, guarantee loans, and grants to Hawaii, Samoa, and the Western Pacific. She will work with USDA to bring in funding to help our families and community.
Lorraine was instrumental in bringing money and resources to Hawaii:
- Low interest and guarantee loans for low income families.
- Self-help funding for low income families
- Low interest loans for elderly housing
COMMUNITY FACILITIES AND NON-PROFITS
- Low interest loans grants
- $2 million grant to help fix ditch in Kohala
- $300,000 grant for gardens on Kauai
BUSINESS GUARANTEE LOANS AND GRANTS
- Won a $2 million grant from USDA rural development to help fix the ditch in Kohala after a major earthquake.
- Small business and community facilities who have been turned down for conventional loans.
- Grants and loans for renewable energy
Lorraine’s Community Leadership
Commissioner for the Hawaii County Board of Ethics
Member of the Downtown Improvement Association
President of the East Hawaii Coalition for the Homeless
President of Penn Hawaii Youth Foundation, helping hundreds of at-risk youth
Provided $100,000 annually to families on DHHL lands in Panaewa and Keaukaha since 1997